It is our mission is to provide a comprehensive, developmental
guidance program by creating a positive learning environment that
provides all students assistance with their academic development,
personal/social development, and career development. We will
provide support systems, encouragement, and resources necessary to
produce students who will be motivated to reach their highest
potential and eliminate barriers to achievement.
The counselors at PMS believe that...
- All students are entitled to a safe and nurturing learning
- All students have the right to participate in the school
guidance and counseling program;
- All students can achieve success; diversity is respected and
incorporated into program planning in order to provide all students
equal opportunities for success;
- All students at PMS shall have access to a full-time,
state-certified, master's-degree-level school counselor to deliver
the counseling program;
And that the PMS Counseling Program should...
- Develop goals and cover competencies that are based on data
specific to PMS to benefit all students;
- Work cooperatively with the Guidance Advisory Council in order
to plan and coordinate services;
- Participate in program evaluation;
And that the PMS Counselors will...
- Abide by professional school counseling ethics as advocated by
the American School Counselor Association and Houston County School
- Maintain professionalism through membership in the American
School Counselor Association and Georgia School
- Participate in professional learning opportunities.
The following services are offered from the PMS Counseling
- Individual Counseling
- Small Group Counseling and Small Group Guidance as needed
- Classroom Guidance focusing on organization/study skills,
developing appropriate social skills, exploring occupational and
educational choices, and improving academic achievement
- Consultations with teacher, student, and parent
- Coordination of services and/or referrals to community
- Tutoring services provided by trained 8th Grade Peer
- Conflict Resolution Training and Mediation offered by 8th
Grade Peer Helpers
- Crisis Screening and Intervention
In order to provide adequate services to students while
protecting academic time, the following referral process will be
used when students request to see a counselor:
- Student requests appointment with counselor and completes a
counseling request form
- Teacher determines if student needs immediate appointment. or
a scheduled appointment.
- Teacher sends form to counselor and counselor arranges
appointment for student.
- Teachers may use the Counseling Request Form to refer a